A scholarship foundation for students pursuing careers in marine engineering or naval architecture has been created by Mrs. Nancy Challinor in memory of her late husband, Donald W. Challinor, noted marine engineer and shipyard executive.
Scholarships are awarded by the Foundation’s Trustees, which include executives of the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, the Canadian Institute of Marine Engineering and the Shipbuilding Association of Canada. At least three scholarships may be awarded annually, and it is intended to reserve one for each of: Western Canada (British Columbia and the Prairie Provinces & Territories); Central Canada (Ontario and Quebec); and the Atlantic Provinces, provided eligible applications are received from each region.
Scholarships will be awarded to graduates of the penultimate year (i.e. 3rd year of a 4-year program, or 2nd year of a 3-year program, etc.) of courses in naval architecture or marine engineering, as described herein.
Applications will be judged on the basis of:
- Penultimate year marks in engineering and science subjects
- Motivation to a career in marine technology
To be eligible for a scholarship, a student applying must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a Canadian citizen, and have been for at least three years prior to application
- Be resident in Canada
- Have satisfactorily completed, or received credits at a recognized Canadian university, community college or marine institute for all but the final year in a program leading to recognized qualifications in naval architecture or marine engineering. (i.e. degree, diploma, D.O.T. certification).
The value of scholarships and the number to be awarded each year will be determined by the trustees. The total value available is dependent upon the Foundation’s net earnings each year.
Applications should be submitted by May 31st in accordance with the attached Application Instructions.
Donald W. Challinor Mémorial Foundation – French
The Donald W. Challinor Memorial Scholarship Foundation – English
For further information, please contact Gerry Lanigan, Trustee Tel: (613) 829-5078 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.